We made it just before they closed the border Saturday evening. More of the usual paperwork and stamps. By the time we paid for everything it cost about $6.50 to enter Honduras.

Now what? Bill and a couple of the inspectors were walking towards the trailer. They stopped and pointed at the two spare tires. The older of the two reached for one of the tires and started to unlash it. I heard Billís voice raise and a flurry of Spanish.  I ventured out and walked up to find out what the problem was.  Bill turned lowered his voice and told me that they said we couldnít take the tires into the country, something to do with the rubber. This was different! As the tires were pulled off the trailer Bill said to me ďOH NOĒ,If we canít take them I'll burn them."  He turned to the inspectors and told them the same thing.  They shrugged and put the tires next to the building. Bill said something to them and turned to go get some kerosene and matches. He came back with the matches and pulled the tires out into the middle of the road. When the guards saw that he was serious about burning them they did an about face and said it would be okay to take the tires with us.  Maybe someone's truck needed new tires?

They wanted to give us just  2 1/2 hours to get to the southern border 80 miles away. Bill finagled us a three day extension though cause there was no way we could make it before that border closed. Also we wanted to be able to get into and leave Nicaragua in the same day. The troubles were just starting there with the Sandinistas.
Again the roads were not very good, very rough and winding slowing our progress even more. The roughness was causing a little problem with the replaced  back window. From the constant movement the glass was starting to chip around the corners.
Scenery as we entered Honduras was again a lot like Southern California, just desert. Then we started crossing a lot of small rivers and it began to green up and became more humid and tropical.
We passed through several small villages and towns. Some with stalls by the road selling the native handicrafts. Some really cute brightly colored pottery in the shape of chickens, pigs and cows. Couldn't buy anything - no room to store it.
The road went through several "Reportese Oficinas", check points, but mostly we were just waved on.

We drove as far as Choluteca to a campground called "Gringo Jims." It was owned and run by a retired US Army flyer. The campground itself was nice, lots of grass and tropical plants and trees, some of them with orchid plants growing in their boughs.
Met up with Klaus again, he also was staying there until Monday morning. He came over to talk to Bill about his adventure in town. Seems he went to a small restaurant to get some dinner. The waitress was a comely girl and they talked a little. He asked her out so she told him her deal. "$1.00 in a room or 50 cents under the bridge."  So of course ever the thrifty young man he chose the bridge. Between his fractured English/Spanish and his body language I thought I would die laughing.
The next day around noon the electricity went out. When asked about it "Gringo Jim" told us that that happened every day to conserve electricity. It would come back on in a couple of hours.
Talked to a couple in a camper who were driving North, they had driven through Nicaragua the day before and had been stopped on the highway by tank traffic. Sounds like fun.
We left Gringo Jims early Monday morning. Just outside of Choluteca there was a big Coca Cola bottling plant, we could always get almost pure water at the bottling plants. So we filled up and headed for the border.  We were in line to cross just as the border shack opened for business.
We pulled up to the dilapidated green wooden building that passed for Migracion and Bill went in to get our passports stamped and then to another office to get the motorhome and motorcycle stamped out. No one came in or even checked to see if we were all in the motorhome. Gee we could have stayed there and no one would have known! What a pleasant thought. Back into the motorhome to the next little shed to get sprayed for bugs again and turn in the card we were given 50 feet prior. And only cost us a dollar to get out of the country.
Across another bridge  and we were into Nicaragua by 7:00 a.m.
Honduras- March 4, 1978
Kllaus at Gringo Jims

Kllaus at Gringo Jims

Paul on

Paul on "The Bridge"

They Only Gave Us 24 Hours to Drive Our Motorhome Through Honduras

Map of our travels through Honduras